An easy recipe that makes it look like you can bake
Super Bowl Sunday is quickly approaching, meaning the potluck parties are in full swing. Everyone knows the dishes that always make an appearance: chips and queso, five-layer dip, the Midwest classic tater tot hotdish. But no one ever seems to remember the themed desserts that are easy to make.
For college students, it is hard to find the time to make anything from scratch or be able to afford all the ingredients. Plus, some of us aren’t gifted in being able to bake a beautiful cake. You’re in luck, though. The cheap boxed cake mix is your savior. It is less than $2, and it tells you how to do everything.
To make it Super Bowl themed, you could buy a pan the shape of a football or try and make a football field cake, but that takes time and money. Instead, make cake pops for a finger food that is cheap and quick to make with an easy to follow recipe. An added bonus: everyone will be able to walk around the party while holding the small footballs in their hands.
Here is a recipe that will make it look like you know how to bake and be creative with your food.
Betty Crocker cake mix (any flavor)
Butter (to grease the pan)
- Follow the cake mix directions, and mix the batter with the ingredients listed on the box.
- Bake the cake according to the directions on the box.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool for 20-30 minutes.
- After it is cool, scoop out half of the cake into a large bowl. You can use the other half later for more cake balls or use it for something else.
- Add half of a 16 oz. container of chocolate icing to the large bowl. Mix with your hands until it is moist, mixed well and can be moldable.
- For each football, scoop out three tablespoons of the mixture into your hand. Roll it into a ball to keep it pushed together. Now, mold the cake ball into the shape of a football by flattening the top and pinching each end.
- After you have made the footballs, refrigerate them for 8-10 minutes.
- While they are refrigerating, take a small bowl and place three tablespoons of chocolate icing into the bowl. Then add three tablespoons of water and stir to create a smooth icing. This will not change the flavor (no matter how gross it looks in the bowl). It will help spread to make the cake look like a football.
- Spread the watered down icing onto the cake bites and refrigerate for 4-6 minutes.
- Add on white decorative lines to make the bites look like small footballs.
- Serve to friends and enjoy this quick and easy Super Bowl party dessert.