As we approach the spring season, we also enter into softball and baseball season at North Dakota State. Games have already taken place out of the state, but both teams are preparing to step back onto the diamond.
- SL Pitcher of the Week: Beginning the season on a high note, sophomore pitcher Jacquleyn Sertic played in three of the five games at the University of Texas Classic, coming out overall with one win and one loss, including a 5-2 win against North Carolina in which she pitched a complete game. With this successful play, the Bison student-athlete earned the Summit League Pitcher of the Week award, her first of this award in this category.
- Beginning the Season: With a five game tournament at the University of Texas to kick off the regular season, the Bison women’s softball team finished the weekend 2-3, playing two games against North Carolina, two games against Arkansas and one against Texas. In a disappointing loss against Texas in which the girls led the Longhorns 2-1 leading into the seventh inning, they were unable to hold the lead and ended up losing the game after allowing two runs that final frame.
- Baseball Preseason: Though its games begin Friday and Saturday at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the NDSU men’s baseball team has already been included in many predictions for the upcoming season. The team was selected to end up in fifth place out of the six teams in the 2016 Summit League Baseball predictions. Predicted to take first place was Oral Roberts, which won both the regular season and postseason championships last year. Returning to NDSU’s team this year is junior Ben Peterson, who last year was selected as a second field outfielder.
- Upcoming Baseball Schedule: Following a season opener of three games played against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, a jam-packed schedule is ahead for the Bison. NDSU will play Lamar on Feb. 26, 27 and 28 and continue the rest of the year facing teams including Boston College, Western Illinois and University of Nebraska Omaha. The baseball team has its first home game on April 6 against Minot State University.
- Upcoming Softball Schedule: The Bison will participate in the Stanford Nike Invitational, Louisville Red & Black Classic and the Hawaii Spring Fling Tournament. NDSU will have the opportunity to travel in order to face unique talent from all around the country. Its first home game will be against the University of North Dakota on March 30.