My mother’s mashed potato recipe
- 5lbs of Potatoes (any preferred kind, I use gold potatoes)
- The small container of sour cream
- Block of cream cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Minced garlic
- Additional seasonings (feel free to add any other seasonings to make this recipe your own)
- Peel and wash potatoes
- In a large pot begin boiling water with a decent amount of salt (follow your heart with the salt)
- Once boiling add potatoes and cook until they become soft (watch closely as they have a tendency to boil over)
- Once the potatoes are soft remove them from the heat and drain the potatoes into a colander
- Put the potatoes back into the pot once drained
- Add one stick of butter into the pot with the potatoes
- If you have an electric mixer use that to mash the potatoes, as it is the easiest way to get a smooth and creamy consistency. (If you do not have a mixer you can mash the potatoes with a utensil but it will take much longer)
- Once the potatoes and butter are combined and thoroughly mashed and cream cheese and sour cream and continue to mix
- After the sour cream and cream cheese is mixed in add a tbsp of minced garlic and mix
- Now is when you can use the heavy whipping cream to get the desired consistency. If you like thick mashed potatoes you can go without but usually a little whipping cream is necessary.
- Once the whipping cream is combined add salt and pepper or any additional seasonings to taste and enjoy!
Tip: If you want to make this recipe ahead of time you can move it over to a crockpot and heat for about two hours on high stirring occasionally before the meal. I also recommend placing some pads of butter on top as you reheat your potatoes as it helps with the consistency, and who doesn’t love more butter!