News Filler Image

Students Tough Rain and Construction on Move-in Day

Weather and construction made move-in at North Dakota State University just a little more hectic on Saturday.

Approximately 3,000 students moved in on Saturday, and most of them moved in before noon, Rian Nostrum, the director of residence life, said.

Throughout the week, about 400 students moved in early, Nostrum said.

Preparation began a few days prior to the big move-in Angeleek Johnson, the Dinan hall director, said.

“Thursday we went over what items we needed for move in like the signs for check in,” Johnson said. “Friday we spent a large portion of our day going over how we were going to have the flow of movement.”

Johnson and her team had most of the stuff set up the night before. When the team arrived at 6:45 a.m., the rest of set up was minimal.

Students started moving in at 7:40 a.m. in Dinan Hall, although it was scheduled to start at 8 a.m., Johnson said.

Families of students in Dinan Hall normally unload their stuff in the parking lot to the east of the building; however, due to the construction of the Science Technology Engineering Mathematics building, the parking lot was blocked off.

This year, students had to move into Dinan through the west side of the building in the parking lot south of the Memorial Union.

“It’s been working fine so far,” Johnson said.

Kaitlyn Omvig, freshman in pharmacy, arrived at Dinan with her family at 8:30 a.m.

“It’s not as hectic as I thought it would be,” Omvig said.

“The move in people helped a lot,” Lisa Omvig, Kaitlyn’s mother, said.

Dareien Lund, a junior majoring in music, was a part of the move-in crew at Burgum Hall.

“Besides the rain, it’s pretty awesome. I love getting to see the different range of emotions of the parents,” Lund said. “I’ve had a father of five bringing his last daughter to college almost in tears, and they live in Fargo.”

Lund said other parents had a different take on move-in day.

“I’ve also had the parents who were really eager to get rid of their kids and were like ‘when can we just drop them off?’” Lund said.

The welcome week leaders had an all-day orientation on Friday to learn how to direct students and families when they arrive, Lund said.

“Since we’re from the Midwest, we’re usually like “do you need help?” but it is kind of like ‘they need help, we need to tell them how to do this,’” Lund said.

The morning of move-in day began overcast and humid, by 11 a.m. it began sprinkling on and off. Around noon, it began raining steadily.

Many of the residence halls had plastic tarps for students to put their stuff onto to keep it from getting wet.

“People aren’t really upset about the rain,” Lund said, “it just makes them move a little bit faster.

“It hides the tears really well.”

Leave a Reply