After a long week of school or a hard day at work, the last thing any student wants to do is study. Reading textbooks, writing essays, programming and lab reports can be stressful and taxing. But with a few simple tips, you can easily turn a nerve-wracking study sesh into a calming spa break.
Studies have shown relaxing can help change brain waves, making it easier to tap into all that knowledge from class. So why not give it a try?
- Turn on some chill tunes. One of the easiest ways to emulate the feeling of a professional spa at home is to listen to music. Classical, piano, atmospheric and new age songs are all perfect choices for this. Spotify has several channels dedicated to these types of music, including Chill, Focus and Sleep. Pick a playlist that resonates with you — just stay away from death metal and dubstep.
- Light a candle. Scented or unscented, it’s your pick. Just keep in mind that some scented candles can be harmful to your health. It also helps to turn the lights a little lower, especially if they are fluorescent. Open the windows to let some natural light in instead.
- Drink cucumber or fruit water. There are tons of recipes for super creative flavored waters on the internet. If you are short on groceries and time, try some cucumber slices or a squeeze of lemon in a cold glass of water. So refreshing, and it will help your brain stay hydrated.
- Give yourself a facial. Put on a face mask while you are sitting at your computer or reading your textbook. Clay masks are a classic choice because they are good for most skin types. I like to mix some Bentonite or French clay with yogurt, which has anti-inflammatory properties (and I usually have some in my fridge). Another great option for those on the go is a sheet mask, a face-shaped sheet of paper that is soaked in serum. Most don’t require rinsing, so they can be done nearly anywhere.
- Take a break every 15-20 minutes. It gives your brain some time to recover and your body a chance to stretch. Grab a healthy snack, run up and down the stairs, do some yoga or squeeze in another beauty treatment. Even closing your eyes for a few seconds gives them a chance to rest while you refocus your energies.